Copyright and Artificial Intelligence
In early 2023, the Copyright Office launched an initiative to examine the copyright law and policy issues raised by artificial intelligence (AI) technology, including the scope of copyright in works generated using AI tools and the use of copyrighted materials in AI training. After convening public listening sessions and hosting public webinars to gather and share information about current technologies and their impact, the Office published a notice of inquiry in the Federal Register in August 2023.
- November 15, 2023 - U.S. Copyright Office Extends Deadline for Reply Comments on Artificial Intelligence Notice of Inquiry
- September 21, 2023 - U.S. Copyright Office Extends Deadline for Comments on Artificial Intelligence Notice of Inquiry
- August 30, 2023 - Copyright Office Issues Notice of Inquiry on Copyright and Artificial Intelligence
- March 16, 2023 - Copyright Office Launches New Artificial Intelligence Initiative
- July 26, 2023 – International Copyright Issues and Artificial Intelligence (recording available)
- June 28, 2023 – Registration Guidance for Works Containing AI-Generated Content (recording available)
- May 31, 2023 – Music and Sound Recordings Listening Session (recording available)
- May 17, 2023 – Audiovisual Works Listening Session (recording available)
- May 2, 2023 – Visual Arts Listening Session (recording available)
- April 19, 2023 – Literary Works, Including Software Listening Session (recording available)
- Fall 2021 – Copyright Law and Machine Learning for AI: Where Are We and Where Are We Going?
- Winter 2020 – Copyright in the Age of Artificial Intelligence