By becoming a registered user of the Electronic Copyright Office (eCO) web site, you will be able to request services electronically through the site. Only the Contact Us and Help portions of the site are accessible to non-registered users.
Signing Up and Creating a Profile
To sign up and create a profile
- In the login area at the right of the eCO Home page, click the New User hyperlink and follow the on-screen instructions. Note that the required fields are indicated with an asterisk. When you have completed the fields in the Profile, click on the Next button and the Address fields will appear. Complete them and click Next.
- User names must be at least six characters.
- User names must contain only letters and numbers, not special characters such as apostrophes, ampersands, etc. ($, %, &, *, #)
Each person using the Electronic Copyright Office System, eCO, must comply with the following:
- Minimum password length must be 8 characters and consist of at least 2 alphabetic characters and two non-alphabetic characters (numbers or special characters but NOT an ampersand - &).
- A password cannot contain three of the same character.
- A password must not be any of the 11 most recently used passwords for the account.
- An account owner can change his or her password at any time, but at a maximum of once per day.
- An account owner must change his or her password every 60 days or when prompted by the system.
Additional Suggestions for Creating a Strong Password
- A password should not include your user name or any part thereof.
- A password should not include the names of a spouse, children, pets or one's own name.
- A password should not include any regional sports teams or players.
- A password should not include any office symbols.
- A password should not include your social security number or any subset of your social security number that is more than a single number.
- A password should not include words that can be found in any dictionary, whether English or any language.
- A password should have no consecutive repeated characters.
- Every user with an account on a Library of Congress system including eCO is responsible for safeguarding access to that account.
- A password must not ever be shared with anyone.