Copyright and Artificial Intelligence
The Copyright Office has launched an initiative to examine the copyright law and policy issues raised by artificial intelligence (AI) technology, including the scope of copyright in works generated using AI tools and the use of copyrighted materials in AI training. After convening public listening sessions in the first half of 2023 to gather information about current technologies and their impact, the Office will publish a notice of inquiry in the Federal Register.
March 16, 2023 - Copyright Office Launches New Artificial Intelligence Initiative
- June 28, 2023 – Registration Guidance for Works Containing AI-Generated Content
- May 31, 2023 – Music and Sound Recordings Listening Session
- May 17, 2023 – Audiovisual Works Listening Session
- May 2, 2023 – Visual Arts Listening Session
- April 19, 2023 – Literary Works, Including Software Listening Session
- Fall 2021 – Copyright Law and Machine Learning for AI: Where Are We and Where Are We Going?
- Winter 2020 – Copyright in the Age of Artificial Intelligence