Mandatory Deposit of Serials Published Only Online
Frequently Asked Questions
The electronic Copyright Office (eCO) web interface permits publishers who have received mandatory deposit notices from the U.S. Copyright Office to submit electronic deposits of serials available only online directly to the Copyright Office using an Internet browser. The eCO interface includes descriptions of specific titles and volumes the Copyright Office has demanded, and it allows publishers to check the status of all deposits made after October 3, 2011. Using eCO, publishers of serials available only online will share in the mission of the Library of Congress to acquire, protect, and preserve works that reflect American innovation, knowledge, and creativity.
Click on a subject heading below to view frequently asked questions and answers relating to mandatory deposit of online-only serials. Links throughout the answers will guide you to further information on the Copyright Office website.
- What is the electronic Copyright Office (eCO)?
- What is mandatory deposit?
- Does mandatory deposit apply to publications published only online?
- What is an SR number?
- What is metadata? Why do I need to provide it?
- What is a presentation style sheet? Do I need to include it with my deposit submission?
- What is a TOC? Do I need to include it with my deposit submission?
- What is a manifest? Do I need to include it with my deposit submission?
- What files are acceptable for uploading?
- How can I ensure my PDF files will render correctly?
- Is there a maximum file size that can be sent in one package upload?
- Can I use file transfer protocol (ftp) to deposit my online serial?
- Can I just give the Copyright Office a user name and password to retrieve online serial directly from my website or server?
- I use a third party provider to host my online serials. Can they deposit them with the Copyright Office for me?
- Do I have to deposit if my serial is Open Access or Hybrid Open Access?
- Do I have to deposit if the place of publication for my serial is outside of the United States?
- Can I deposit serials not included on my mandatory deposit demand?
- What if the rights are retained by the individual authors of the articles?
- What happens to my files after they've been deposited?
- Will I receive notification or acknowledgement that my submission was received?
- Can I send back issues not included in the mandatory deposit demand?
- How do I deposit future (subsequent) issues?
- Will my deposited be available to the public?
- What information will I need to provide to describe my content?