Before getting started be sure to check and adjust your browser and/or PC settings as follows:
- Disable your browser's pop-blocker.
- Disable any 3rd party toolbars (e.g. Google or Yahoo Toolbar).
- Set your security and privacy settings to MEDUIM.
Registering a claim to copyright via eCO involves three steps in the following order:
- Fee Payment (Pay online using pay.gov)
- Deposit submission (Deposit or deposit copy refers to a copy of the work being registered)
Keep in mind that payment is required before the system will prompt you to upload your work as an electronic file or print out a shipping slip if you plan to submit a hard copy of your work.
Submitting Deposit Copies
A “Payment Successful” page will appear as soon as payment is completed*. Click the “Continue” button at the top right of the screen and do one of the following:
- If you intend to mail or hand deliver hard copies of your work(s), click the Create Shipping Slip button at the bottom of the page. After it appears, click on the blue Shipping Slip link to view and print out a shipping slip to be attached to your work(s). TO AVOID MISROUTING, please be sure to attach a shipping slip directly to each work or set of works that you submit.
- If you intend to upload a copy of your work(s) electronically, click the green “Select files to upload” button. Then browse and select the file(s) you wish to upload and submit them by clicking the blue “Start Upload” button. After uploading all files, click the green “Complete your submission” button to finish the process.
- Click here for a demonstration of how to upload your work.
For a list of acceptable electronic file types go to http://www.copyright.gov/eco/help-file-types.html.
*If you are not directed back into eCO from pay.gov correctly and a blank screen appears, log out of and then back into eCO. Click on the blue case number associated with your claim in the Open Cases table at the bottom of the Welcome screen. Click either the “Create Shipping Slip” or “Select files to upload” button on the Case Summary page.
Uploading Multiple or Large Files
After clicking the green “Select files to upload” button, you can browse and select as many files as needed to upload a copy of your work. After all files have been selected, click the blue “Start Upload” button to upload them together.
The maximum size for each file uploaded is 500 MB. If any of the files you need to upload is larger than 500 MB, we recommend that you either a) compress the files by zipping them or b) break larger files into two or more smaller files so that no file exceeds 500 MB.
Mailing Deposit Copies
To avoid damage to your deposit due to Capitol Hill security measures, please package the following items in boxes rather than envelopes for mailing to the Copyright Office:
- Electronic media such as audiocassettes, videocassettes, CDs, and DVDs
- Slick advertisements, color photocopies, and other print items that are rubber and vegetable-based
Also please note that CDs/DVDs packaged in standard full-sized jewel boxes are more likely to survive the mail radiation process than those packaged in slim-line cases.